This project is read-only.
Working on RC1 - 2014-01-31

Thanks to the valuable error reports I started to fix the code to be able to handle a lot more possible exceptions, because it turned out I wasn't prepared the tool for them. :)
I really miss a talented QA who could think with the mind of the users and somebody who would be so damn dedicated that could even mock a whole FTP server (:D), because I really hate that currently 90% of the code cannot be covered with test automation. Without Continuous Integration I can introduce new bugs every time I change something and this bothers me a lot. But currently I can't do anything against it just to be extremely thorough and careful. And to rely on your feedbacks.

Since the Beta 4 came out I patched three big leaks. One of them was directly after the FTP connection was made, I haven't really thought that after it was successful there could be any problems. Therefore the program couldn't really handle it well when there was. :) The other one was in the UpDirectory method, I forgot to check that the connection still exists. :) And the third is that kind of a lame mistake as well, after a lost connection I forgot to handle what if the connection cannot be restored, because console has been turned off or something. :) So yeah, these were pretty lame bugs, but with your help I was finally able to fix them.

Besides those added a connection name existence check to the new connection window, so it won't crash anymore if you type in the same name twice.

And my biggest addition to the RC1 yet is that I can finally handle inaccessible files... well, better. If you've got a recognized profile in cache, but it's currently signed in on your console (therefore inaccessible), then it can finally use that cached item, and it won't be showed as unknown again. And I just removed that annoying alert message and introduced a warning icon instead, so now you can see if there's something wrong with an item. It applies to files as well, if you don't have a permission to read them then you will see that and won't be surprised anymore why the recognition was unsuccessful.

The So-called Polish Problem - 2014-01-29

The most common problem so far has been reported by Polish users who use their computer and possibly their Xbox with Polish language and culture settings. But I don't know how because I tried to switch the language and locale settings on my console to Polish but it hasn't had any effects. So I contacted the developers of F3 maybe they could tell me what do I have to do.

But let me explain what the problem really is. When I connect to my console's FTP server and call the LIST command I get the following:

drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Apr 28 2039 Game
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 Flash
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 OnBoardMU
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 Hdd1
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 HddX
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 SysExt
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 Usb0
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 USBMU0
drwxrwxrwx   1 root  root    0 Jan 01 1970 USBMUCache0


But when my Polish fellas do the same they get the dates with Polish month abbreviations:

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Cze 22 2039 Game
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Sty 01 1970 Flash
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Sty 01 1970 Hdd1
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Sty 01 1970 HddX
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Sty 01 1970 SysExt
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Sty 01 1970 Usb0


Now that's what the Ftp.dll can't handle well. They just forgot to prepare their moronic code (they obviously haven't heard about regular expressions yet) what if an FTP server isn't replying in English, so they just try to parse the date with invariant culture settings. How brilliant!

Currently my only hope is that somehow I will be able to switch my console to Polish to get the same reply from FSD, then I can start to experience with various hacks (code injections and stuff) and then I can maybe come up with a workaround for this problem.

Till then my only recommendation is: Switch back to English.

Last edited Jan 31, 2014 at 6:52 PM by mercenaryntx, version 4